CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 11, 2008

When Do I Get Eyes On the Back of My Head?!

The Before Picture...

I desperately need another set of eyes somewhere! It all started on Saturday morning. We like to take it easy in the morning and so we just put Lucy on the floor of our bedroom to play with toys while we try to get in a couple more 5 second intervals of sleep. That morning we heard a thud and she started screaming. Not too unusual for this stage of standing up to everything. Andy picked her up, and grogy me looked at her and realized that she used to have two teeth. One was missing! We looked on the floor for the other one. Eventually we found it still attached, but just bent all the way forward! I called the pediatirician, duh! I was freaking out okay! Yes- over a tooth that she's going to lose one day anyway, but it's still scary! I came to my senses and called the dentist. This was a Saturday, mind you, so I was over-joyed when my dentist called me back and calmly told me it happens to every kid and to just push the tooth back in place. First of all- I have nightmares about my teeth falling out or shattering, so this is just not my thing. I pushed it back, which was easier than I thought, (maybe cause she was screaming and kept her mouth wide open) but it just seemed crooked so I called the dentist back. He said, "you seem nervous, do you want me to meet you at my office and look at it or do you want me to come to your house?" Talk about the nicest dentist ever! And to top it off, after I met him and he said that it looked fine, I asked the cost and he said, "I don't charge you for emergencies, they're stressful enough." How awesome is that?!! I think he's got a ticket to the celestial kingdom! (if I could give them out he would) Maybe it's cause I don't know many dentists, but that just seemed so generous to me. Especially when every time we go to the emergency room it sets us back, roughly, a grand for basically the same thing. So thank you a million times over Dr. Doman! You are an angel!
Sorry for the bad picture! This was after I pushed it back and you can't even see it. She was reluctant to open her mouth and prabably will be forever now, I'm afraid. She was a major trooper and was back to her usual massive, crinkle-nose grins and giggles 5 minutes later.

And speaking of angels...
My first born angel found the food coloring this morning. Pretty! At first I thought she drank the bottle, but then I found the cup with the dye and my hair color brush in it. I guess she's already practicing for her career in make-up, or from the looks of it, face painting. She was lots of fun today. I lost something and so I kept going out to look in the car, but she kept following me. I decided to outsmart her and close the childproof door. She's smarter. She locked the deadbolt! I was completely locked out of the house!! I tried to talk her through unlocking the door, but she got so frustrated with the childproof doorknob that she gave up and climbed on the counter to eat the bag of cookies sitting there. Lucy was in her high chair crying and I was begging and pleading through the door, as nice as I possibly could- at a moment like that. It was a good thing I had my cell phone with me, but an even better thing that I knew how to get her to open the back door that I temoparily forgot exsisted. I was so relieved that it was hard to be mad. Shocking. I do believe the current book I'm reading, 'When Anger Hurts Your Kids', may be preventing much, much hurt! Props to you doctors that wrote it! I'm impressed. And I'm sure Gracie thanks you as well!

20 comments:

Amy and Kody said...

Oh Ging arent kids fun!!! Tanner knocked out his 2 front teeth when he was 3, and Boston chipped his front tooth when he was 2, I cant wait to see what Hudson does! I have also been locked out of the house more than once. So it happens to all of us at one time or another.

lindsey v said...

Ginger!! I can't believe all of these crazy things! The tooth thing would freak me out so bad! And I totally pictured you talking through the door wanting to yell but having to plead for help. And how long did that dye stay on Gracie's face? CRAZY stuff!

Heather said...

What a day! Thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is so entertaining. All parents, young and old can relate to the adventures you write about. Keep sharing. Love ya.

Adam said...

Oh Boy, I can't wait to have kids and have all these adventures like being locked in my home.

Adam said...

But the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is being a paramedic and dealing with panicing parents and their sick children. Exciting!

Jim & Tomi said...

Well G, another day in the life of Crazy Gracie and Lucy Lu! Things can happen so fast with little ones. Just one thought, how are you going to unteach Gracie to open the back door now? She is such a go go go girl. I'm glad everything worked out. I hope those eyes in the back of your head open before preschool starts. I think you'll need them for sure.
They'll be there when you need them. Love Mom

lovell said...

I wish I could say it get easier. I would be lying. My boys just do one thing after another. Today I caught Porter walking out of the store with some candy. He had stolen some candy. He is three. I'm in for some serious trouble myself.:)

Teej and Jenn said...

Ging, How sad for cute little Lucy. I am glad she is okay. I need to get your dentist number he sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing your kid issues. It is always nice to know that I am not the only one with craziness. Thanks for the good laugh.

RyanandHailee said...

WOW What a day!!! Its it fun to be mommy!! What an adventure for sure! I love your post they always make me laugh :)

Wade, Jenny, and Girls said...

Ginger, You are so cute. ANd your children are BEAUTIFUL! And can I just say that I love the name Lucy? So happy to see what you are up to. Hope all is well.

Jenny Moore said...

Poor thing! So, is her tooth black? We've had some knocked out and some black and I don't know which is worse. And I'm sure with a little girl, it is a million times worse because she is supposed to look like a princess, not a hockey player! I love hearing your stories. The way you tell them cracks me up!

Reeses Pieces said...

Funny, funny. Ginger you crack me up. Isn't it crazy how much we let go on when we're trying to get just a little more sleep. My house is a disaster right now for the same exact reasons. I guess that's why we have kids when we're young.

Grandma Shauna said...

I remember when Natalie and Nicole did that to me. They were 2 years old. Locked me out of the house and there I was on the military base yelling through the window trying to get them to figure out how to un-lock the door that they had mastered to lock so well. By the time I got in the house was a total wreck! All of the drawers were pulled out, clothes all over etc., It makes for a very memorable moment.

Grandma Shauna said...

I remember when Natalie and Nicole did that to me. They were 2 years old. Locked me out of the house and there I was on the military base yelling through the window trying to get them to figure out how to un-lock the door that they had mastered to lock so well. By the time I got in the house was a total wreck! All of the drawers were pulled out, clothes all over etc., It makes for a very memorable moment.

Ranae said...

Do you remember Jocelyn's black tooth all those preschool years? Then that fell out, she got the permanent tooth in and promptly broke that half off as well! Thank heaven for modern dentistry. My sister had a silver tooth all her growing up years--the only way to repair a broken tooth. YUCK!

Tyler and Kortni said...

She is so cute! I guess all I can say is enjoy them now cause one day they'll be all grown up! Your girls are beautiful.

Romeril Family said...

WOW! I am behind on reading and I wish I wasn't! That made my day. You are sooo cute and I can imagine you mad. It's me when I'm nice. Your girls are so lucky to have you as a mom!

Renee said...

Okay, that is hilarious! Sorry that the tooth gave you a bit of a scare - your dentist does rock! My favorite is the food coloring picture...that is a hoot!

Matt and Mindy said...

G I love your blog--it always makes me laugh. (and scares me a little when I see what I have to look forward to). The food coloring picture is priceless!